Thursday, May 3, 2007

What happened in LA's MacCarthur Park May 1?

One thing about our age of information and disinformation is the chance that we have to review stories from many different perspectives only hours and days after they happen. One question that that needs to be answered after some serious debate is, what happened in MacArthur Park on May 1, 2007?

I live in a small town in the middle west. There are many peace officers who are members of my congregation who I know to be thoughtful and responsible in their actions and who reflect about what they've done trying to learn how to better work with the people they encounter in their work. Knowing the character of some peace officers I am honored to call neighbors I was disturbed as I watched from over 2000 miles away and I would appreciate an honest explanation for what happened. The video clearly shows police officers forcefully moving a crowd. I'd like to know why.

The people in the crowd each individually had a right to assemble and had lawfully obtained permits for their gathering. Something happened and power and force overran any personal rights or collective rights to assemble or to protest. See for yourself.

Fox 11 in LA


or watch this CNN national report


Or read the story in the LA Times about the police chief's request for an investigation.

1 comment:

Pastor Eric said...

Wow...that is sad.