Friday, February 2, 2007

Who told you? Epiphany 5C 1 Corinthians 15


Churches have a message that's meant to be told. Its a message about the cross that's never made sense to the whole world but that holds onto those who believe even if they can't make sense of it on their own. Let's face it, the thought of God coming to earth is enough to get believers hearts moving but unbelievers are apathetic about the whole experience. But for believers the experience of God coming to earth changes everything.

Some believers are moved by the fear of meeting God face to face.
Some believers are moved by hope that they might meet God face to face.

Faith, hope, and fear are all steps along the journey to loving God. Paul wrote with a clear understanding of the grace that God had shown for him

Finally, he appeared to me, even though I am like someone who was born at the wrong time. 9I am the least important of all the apostles. In fact, I caused so much trouble for God's church that I don't even deserve to be called an apostle. 10But God was kind! He made me what I am, and his wonderful kindness wasn't wasted. I worked much harder than any of the other apostles, although it was really God's kindness at work and not me. 11But it doesn't matter if I preached or if they preached. All of you believed the message just the same. 1 Corinthians 15 : 8-11 Contemporary English Version (CEV)
It seems like we believers, who Martin Luther said are simultaneously saints and sinners, need to meet Jesus as we are right now both in the cross and in the empty tomb. Paul's language seems a little self-deprecating at first glance, but on closer look he speaks for all of us. Christ came for me and it doesn't matter who told me, what matters is that somebody did.

No comments: